What to do…
- Gone are the days of wearing all white or all black in your family photos. Think coordinating not matching. If you have something for yourself you love, start with that and pull a few colors that coordinate. Try to select 2 main colors and then a third to throw in as a “pop” of color.
- Don’t forget accessories. Not only do they make fun props but they photograph well. Think hats, scarves, statement jewelry, etc.
- Layer up! Try to find layers and textures to add to each family member. This adds depth to your portraits and will give you that perfect pop. Add a puffy vest, a cardigan, collared shirt under a sweater, or even your accessories to layer up. You’ll be surprised at how easy it is to do!
What not to do…
- Nix the character tops, graphic tees, and tops with logos. They are far too distracting.
- Women, don’t forget to remove the hair tie around your wrist.
- Make sure your nail polish is free of chipping.
- No billed hats (such as a baseball cap). It often creates shadows on the face which is something photographers strive to avoid.
- Remove the sunglasses.
- Men, do not wear white athletic socks. If you’re sitting at some point in your session, those white socks will show.
- No sneakers. Nothing is worse, in my opinion, than a nicely dressed man in a pair of New Balances.